Dbvisit Community Dbvisit home       

Go Back   Dbvisit Community > Dbvisit Standby - Technical > Dbvisit Standby - 'How Do I' Questions

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 AM

Default Primary to Standby to Standby

Hi to all,

I have a quick question that someone may be able to answer?

I know you can run dbvisit such that for a given primary database you can have more than one physical standby, and I know that the log shipping would go from the primary to each of these standbys, but is it possible for logs to ship to standby 1, then standby 2 be updated from standby 1 rather than the primary, keeping the extra load off the primary server?

Thanks to all who reply.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Dbvisit Team

Hi Jamie,
Currently Dbvisit Standby does not support cascading standby databases so this is not possible.

Regards
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 AM

Hi Arjen,

I am aware of this now being available "cascading" in the latest release of Dataguard.

Can you think of anyway of making this work in Dbvisit. I have been toying with the idea of having two standby's one acting as DR and the other opened on occasion and then creating a standby from this. I understand that this would be a pretty unreliable way of doing it but was going to give it a go in a test environment. Have you or your team ever attempted it?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Dbvisit Team

Hi Jamie,

If you opened one of the standbys as a full read-write database (failover), then it would be possible to create a new standby from this. But if it is only opened as read only (still a standby database), then it is not possible.
The reason is that Dbvisit has a repository in the primary database to keep track of the whole process (creation, transfer, log gaps etc) and this is only writable in a primary database and not a standby database.